November's Community MemberNovember 7, 2013
Introducing PerkvilleDecember 30, 2013
Soba Noodle, Tofu, and Vegetable Stir-fry
- 8 ounces soba noodles (preferably 100% buckwheat)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 14 ounces (1 package) extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and cut intoÂ Â½ inch cubes
- coarse salt
- 2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 head (1Â½ pounds) broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 head (1 pound) bok chou, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Â½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons almond buter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook soba noodles until tender according to package directions. Drain, and rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high; add tofu and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing occasionally until holder, 12 to 15 minutes.Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high. Add bell peppers, broccoli, bok choy, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover (pan will be very full), and cook, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are crisp tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together almond butter and the water, then whisk in vinegar and soy sauce.
- Add reserved noodles, tofu and sauce to pan with vegetables. Cook, tossing, until noodles are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Per Serving: 511 calories; 1.53 g saturated fat; 12.5 g unsaturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 26.7 g protein; 670 mg sodium; 7.6 g fiber