October's Feature ProductOctober 1, 2013
October's Community MembershipOctober 15, 2013
Glazed Carrots with Ginger
- coarse salt
- 30 baby carrots (aboutÂ Â¾ pound), peeled and with 1 inch green tops intct
- 1Â½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 fresh red chile, such as Thai bird or jalapeÃ±o, thinly sliced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- Bring a pot of of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Cook carrots until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain carrots; pat them dry with paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, honey, and ginger; cook, turning carrots frequently, until browned and glazed, about 8 minutes. Add the chile , and continue to cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute more. Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Per Serving: 105 calories; 2.7 g saturated fat; 1.3 g unsaturated fat; 11.3 mg cholesterol; 16.4 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 46 mg sodium; 2 g fiber