September's Feature ProductSeptember 1, 2013
Happy Labour Day!September 2, 2013
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Herb-Almond Pesto & Broccoli
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1Â¼ ounces whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest, plusÂ Â¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Â½Â cup packed fresh mint leaves
- Â¼ cup packed fresh tarragon leaves
- coarse sale and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads (2Â¼ pounds) broccoli, cut into small florets (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. ReserveÂ Â½ cup cooking liquid; drain pasta
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add 1 tablespoon lemon zest along with the lemon juice, garlic, herbs, andÂ Â½ teaspoon salt; process until finely chopped. With machine running, gradually add 2 tablespoons oil and the reserved cooking water process until pesto is smooth. The pesto will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer; store in an airtight container, covered with a thin layer of olive oil. To serve, bring the pesto to room temperature (never heat it), pour off extra oil from top, and stir in a little water if necessary, to achieve proper consistency.
- Heat a large sautÃ© pan over medium high. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, add broccoli and 1Â½ teaspoons salt; season with pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until broccoli is lightly browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add pasta and pesto; toss to coat.
- Divide pasts among six bowls. Dollop with ricotta, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon zest, dividing evenly. Squeeze lemon wedges over tops, and serve immediately.
Serves 6. Per Serving: 345 calories; 1 g saturated fat; 7 g unsaturated fat; 3 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 448 mg sodium; 14 g fiber